Saturday, March 17, 2012


It's March?  Actually, it's the middle of March?  Wow, time has been flying by.  One great thing is that it has been so warm lately and I have been out as much as possible with my kids.  Another great thing is that my best friend in the world now lives a 10 minute walk away (and about a two minute drive! :) :) ).  Evin's husband recently enlisted in the Army and is at boot camp for a couple months, and then onto a 6 month specialty training from there.  She and her girls are living with her parents (my surrogate parents) while he's in boot camp, and at least the beginning of the specialty training.  SO, sad her her to be away from her man, but we are keeping each other company and loving every minute of it.  My parents wedding anniversary is tomorrow (I am pretty sure).  But I don't know if my mom remembers.  But if she doesn't, would she be sad to be reminded of it?  I was born about 9 months after their I guess it was a pretty important day for my own history :).
In other news to catch up baby girl is FIVE.  5 on the 5th actually.  Evi had her birthday in February, and all of the sudden she seems so grown up.  Recently her sweetness has really been coming out.  For several months, I would say she experienced a lot of growing pains as life threw some major challenges our way.  But I think she has been working through things and it's been really nice to be around her (most of the time!).  One thing I have really been enjoying is how well both my girls have been playing together lately.  Maybe it's because Jamie is getting older and Evi sees her as more fun these days, or I don't know what it may be, but it really has been a pleasure to see them together.  It is not all the time, of course, but when it does happen it is great. 

OH, and as if breaking her leg in December wasn't enough, she broke her clavicle in February (exactly 2 months later, and 12 days after her brace came off)!  Her bed WAS elevated about 4 feet with high sides to prevent kids from falling out (it is a "reversible bed" from IKEA.  It is now reversed, and low again).  Super late one night I heard her crying, and I went to get her, and then heard a thud.  She tried to climb over the high side to get out, rather than use the ladder to get down.  It was dark and she was screaming and my first thought was that she re-broke her leg.  Then I thought she broke her neck with the way she was screaming and holding her neck and head.  Although I was ready to call an ambulance right then, I knew I could rule out a broken neck or some other major injury so I figured I would try to get her to sleep.  I laid her flat in my bed next to me, and basically sang her to sleep (not without many painful cries along the way).  Once she woke up and still wouldn't move, I knew we needed to go to the hospital and thought at that point it was her collarbone.  Two men came over from my ward (two of my best friends dads' stepping in to take care of me in the absence of my own) to give her a blessing, and then we called an ambulance so she could remain flat and still since any move seemed to be excruciating for her.  She was so scared in the ambulance :(.

The short hospital version is:  ambulance ride proved to be the best choice as we got care right away.  X-ray and head CT revealed only a broken clavicle ("only" because there were NO fractures in the skull, but heavy bruising).  She fell on her shoulder and head :(.  It was a really scary experience for her (and me).  Although this was her FOURTH trip to an ER, it DOES NOT get easier and I hate seeing my baby suffering. Heck, I am starting to cry all over again now as I re-live the day.  But I had to be strong for her, and we got through it.  I had never ridden in an ambulance, and thought it would be cool to see an ambulance afterward and say, "hey, we rode on that when we needed help".  But the first few times after that day, I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw one.  That has subsided, and while I don't have that "hey, that's cool...." attitude about them, at least I can remind her how helpful the EMT's and firefighters are when people need help.  They put a "sling and swath" on her to immobilize her arm, and things started to improve.  It was a really really hard time for me......but I got through it and I suppose I can say I am stronger for it (and really glad it's over).  I am not at all glad my baby got hurt again, but we are growing together.  I am just getting tired of all the growth experiences I am being presented with.  I quite like calm periods.

As for her leg....we just went for her SECOND follow up appointment since the cast came off (so three visits so far since being back in Maryland), and it is still healing, but not healed.  Another appointment scheduled for June, six months after the injury.  At least 5 x-rays of her leg have been taken since December, one of her chest, AND a head CT.  I would really LOVE to avoid emergency rooms and x-ray machines from here on out.

Lets end Evi's stuff with good news.  She is in pre-school 3 days a week and really enjoying that I think.  Lately she has been saying she doesn't want to go to school because it's wild there.  Then I remind her of the friends there or what she gets to do and she is excited again.  I mentioned that to her teacher, and found out her teachers recently restructured their routine because the kids were getting too wild (and told them so).  We had a nice laugh about it, because Evi took her words directly! 

I put Evi back in swim lessons again and they started today.  I am so proud of her!  I let her get in a little before her class started (I coordinate the lessons, so I have a bit of a say), and since the shallow area was occupied, she asked if she could go in the 9 feet.  Off she went, jumping in and treading water like a champ.  I was a little nervous about how well she'd do in her class because she had previously refused to do one of the skills necessary to advance to this particular class (which she could in fact do!).  I have been stressing to her that if she wanted Mr. Marty to be her teacher, she had to listen to and DO what he asked.  She did it and I was thrilled!  My boss joked with me and said that he's going to have to hide me during that time slot so I'm not the gawking parent on the deck :).  I think she has grown up a lot since her last round of lessons ended in August and glad she listened (at least today!).  My baby is a fish, and although she won't listen to anything I want to teach her, I am so glad she is listening to someone! 

Evi likes to be challenged and when I can keep up, she is really fun to be around.  She is imaginative and curious and wants to explore, which sometimes gets her into trouble, but I have been really impressed with her and she really is a great kid.

Jamie is still super sweet, although almost 2 so kind of stinky too :).  A couple weeks ago at a party for a family friend, she was on my lap playing with my necklace while I was chatting with friends.  Then she started coughing heavily....and she SWALLOWED THE NECKLACE.  Well, the pendant on the chain, not the chain itself.  My concern was that even though it was small, it would get stuck somewhere because the edges weren't smooth.  So.....I had to search.  And after five days (and five searches...ick), I finally figured I ought to call the pediatrician just to be safe.  She basically told me I missed it and it was fine, and she would be fine, and it wouldn't be found in an x-ray and they would have to scope her to even look for it.  I didn't like how she said I missed it and that it wouldn't show up (because why on earth wouldn't it??), but Jamie wasn't exhibiting any symptoms of it being stuck so I let it go.  That night, one more search proved beneficial.  It's funny when you tell these stories to people, because I learned some great searching methods!  It was my first time ever having to look through stuff like now I am quite knowledgeable.  Gross.  I am not sure that's a great quality to have...but oh well.

Jamie is such a happy baby--er, toddler.  She is saying all sorts of words, but it is especially cute that she likes to say, "I love you" all the time.  She is always asking, "why?"  She asks for a kiss by making the "mmmwah" sound and pushing her head forward and lips out.  Again is "Gii", and has been forever and I love that.  She still does the sign as she says "gii" and she will also almost always sign as she says, "peeze" (please).  Her pacifier is a "baba" and her favorite blanket comes out as "piggy" most of the time.  The non-favorite blankets seem to come out as "pokey".  She is calling Evin's daughter Shelby, "Cubby" (which Evin and I find adorable, although most of the time Shelby adamantly insists her name is SHELBY, not Cubby!), and she is finally saying Evin as "Emma".  Kids really make up the cutest nicknames.  Jamie loves to put on any shoes, carry any bag, and talk into anything that resembles a phone and say, "HA-ROW".  Uh-Oh, shoes, purse and phone!  If you are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of such a call, the first thing she almost always says is something about "mommy's pone" as she points to me, saying she is on mommy's phone.  If you want to experience this sometime, give me a call :).  She isn't without her mischief though.  Lately she has been scolded for drawing on the rug, furniture and floor.  Generally she starts balling when you scold her and tell her no.  A couple times I have done this and she cried, Evi has gone to comfort her, and then reminded her she can only draw on paper.  It has been really cute to watch big sister step in to help.  Another time I was scolding her, Evi said she would have to go to time out if she did that.  Then I realized Jamie DID go to time out.  I asked her if she was in time out and she sadly whimpered, "uh-huh".

Ok, I have written a lot.  I guess that's what happens when it is so long between posts.  Last month I went to visit my friends parents in North Carolina.  They had given me a standing offer years ago to come anytime....and I had an opportunity for a free weekend and thought I'd see if the offer was still good.  It was just a short trip, but I loved every minute of it and it was so refreshing to just have a couple of days to myself.  It was freezing, but I still had some time at the beach and collected a bunch of shells for my girls, had lovely tours of the area with my friends parents, a great evening stroll in the frozen wind with my friends dad, and a fascinating self tour of Fort Macon.  I had no idea that the Edwards' knew my parents so well.  I knew they knew my parents, but since the ward was split either before I was born or sometime when I was young and we didn't see them all the time, I never made that connection.  But it turns out that they were together quite a bit, and when he and my Dad used to work at the temple together they would "carpool" there on a MOTORCYCLE!  hahaha, they would apparently take turns driving/riding in the back.  Something I never knew about my dad, and it was a fun thing to discover.  They were so wonderful to me and I was so glad I decided to go.  Now, when do I go again??

I just started teaching my Aqua Zumba class last week.  It was fairly intimidating since the material is still pretty new to me, and my class was FULL with a waiting list, but 2 classes in I think it's going pretty well.  We are having fun with it and I think I am confident in my presentation.  I am also teaching a regular Aquacize class, a swimmer workout class, and coordinating the swim lesson program at the pool.  I love my job there and am grateful to have such supportive people to work with.

I guess that's all for now.  What would this long post be without pictures?  Well, it's just going to have to remain a long post without pictures for now, because my time is up!


E Brown said...

Mom didn't know it was her anniversary. She seemed glad to know about it when I told her.

How cool for you to hear some fun stories about Dad! I didn't know about the carpooling, though I do remember when Dad had a motorcycle for a little while. I don't think Mom liked it, so it didn't last long.

iris said...

the babies are so cute! enjoy your spring time!